Sunday 18 September 2016

Welcome back barbecue and cookie selling

On Thursday, there was a barbecue at my school.  It was to welcome back all the students and the teachers. The barbecue happens only once a year and this was my fourth one.  Actually, this was my seventh barbecue because I used to go when my sister was at this school.  There was a lot of food.  There were burgers, hotdogs, salads, appetizers, and lots of desserts.  This year, most of the deserts were made with chocolate.  I really liked all the food that was there.

I met a lot of my friends and my teachers.  I said hello to Ms. Cowdy, of course, but I also got to say hello to my old teachers like Ms. Boyer, Ms. Hamby, Ms. Wilkins.  I also met our librarian, Ms. Kidd, Ms. Jones, and Ms. Smith.  My principal, Ms. Polski, was also there.  I spent a lot of time in the playground and on the monkey bars with my friends.

Every year Elvis comes to the barbecue to sing for us.  I'm sure this is not the real Elvis.  It is a man dressed up who sounds like Elvis.  This year, he sang a lot of songs, which we all enjoyed because he is a great singer.  He lets the kids sing along and dance with him as part of his band.  I really liked his white suit with the blue sequins and stones.  He also wore very cool glasses.  I can't wait to see him again next year.

This year is my second year as a Brownie.  One of the things that we do is sell cookies.  Yesterday, my Mom and I went in the afternoon to pick up 50 cases of Girl Guide cookies.  The Fall cookies are chocolate mint, and the Spring cookies are chocolate and vanilla cream.  After picking up the cookies, my Brownie friends and I met at a nearby playground.

We split up into three groups and went to sell cookies around the neighbourhood.  There were four girls in my group.  We went to the houses and asked if they wanted to buy cookies.  The cookies sell for $5 a box, and $60 for a case.  We sold for one and a half hours.  When everybody came back to the playground, we had sold 7 cases.

My Mom is the lead Guider and she got a snack for us.  She got juice boxes, honey sticks, granola bars, oranges, and goldfish crackers.  Then we played until all the parents came.  While playing, I got rope burns on my hands.  They really hurt but I did not cry.  I really want to go cookie selling again another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment