Sunday 11 September 2016

My first week back at school

My school started on Tuesday September 6th and I know almost everyone in my class. I am in Room 5, but we share the same really big classroom with Room 4.  This is the same room where my sister started when she went to this school.  I love my classroom!  My teacher's name is Ms. Cowdy and she is awesome!  Ms. Jones is the teacher for Room 4.

In class this week, we made name tags for our desks and also for our coat hooks. For our desk name tags, we got a piece of paper and folded it into four sections.  Then, on one of the sections, we wrote an acrostic poem. This is a type of poem where you write a quality about yourself that begins with each letter in your name.  I wrote...Amazing, Awesome, Nice, Young, Active.  We had to write our favorite things on the other sections.  For our coat hook name tags, we got a star and we coloured it, then wrote our name on the star.

We also made up some classroom rules.  We worked in pairs, with a buddy who had the same coloured elastic band as us. My buddy and I wrote the rules on sticky notes, and Ms. Jones wrote them down, while Ms. Cowdy read them.

For our first gym class, we played Chuck the Chicken. To play this game, you split into two groups.  The teacher throws a rubber chicken.  The group that catches it makes a line and passes the chicken to each other, over their head and through their legs.  The other group makes a circle and one person runs around the circle the whole time the chicken is being passed.  The points a group gets is the same as the number of times they run in a circle.  When the chicken reaches the end of the line, it is passed to the other group.  I didn't like this game very much because there was too much yelling and it was really loud.

On Friday, we had our very first Fresh Air Friday.  We started doing this last year.  Every Friday is early dismissal and the whole school goes outside to learn. On Friday, my class went into the Whispering Woods to do a listening walk.  A listening walk is when you are by yourself and you walk and listen to the sounds around you.  You are not allowed to talk.  We also played a game.  Ms. Jones gave us the name of an animal and we had to make that animal's noise to find our family.

This week, I also started Wendy's after school care program and some of my friends are in there too.  This will be my last year as a Chinchilla.  This is the name that is given to kids from K-3.  My sister volunteers here, so I get to see her after school!  We played basketball one afternoon and I got 28 baskets!  We also did a safety check.  The volunteers put up signs about unsafe things, and we had to go around reading them and writing them down.  We then went outside to see if there was anything unsafe and we found some broken glass.  I almost stepped on a piece!  On Friday, we watched Space Jam on the big screen to end the week.          

No comments:

Post a Comment