Sunday 26 February 2017

And the Bronze Goes to Aanya!!!

Yesterday I went to a Taekwon-Do tournament. The tournament was at Arden's Taekwon-Do.
I thought is was exciting and awesome. I loved it so, so, so, so much.

It worked like this. One division did their patterns and when they finished they went and put on their sparring gear while the next division did their patterns, and so on. But there were different belts so the lower belts always went first. The lowest belts are yellow belts and green stripes. The next ones up are green belts and blue stripes, and the higher ones are blue belts and red stripes. The highest levels are red and black belts and they went last.

The patterns were done in a particular way and the sparring had its own way of working too. Two people went up at a time and were given two colours; red and blue.  Both did their patterns and then the judges decided who was better and that person moved to the gold and silver round.  The person who came third in patterns got a bronze, and that was me!

For the sparring, the referee would tie a blue or red ribbon to each person's belt.  This helped the judges to decide between the two people sparring.  You have to stop sparring every time there is a warning or a foul.  The higher the contact on the body, the more points you get, so you get the highest point which is three, if you hit the other person's head.  If you get three warnings, you lose one point.  Warnings happen if you fall down, or one of your feet is not touching the sparring ring floor, or if you push someone.  Even if you do a really good kick but it hurts someone, you don't get that point.  There are a lot of rule for sparring!  You also have to be super careful because there can be lots of injuries.  Even with all of these rules, I came third and got another bronze!

When I got my medal, I had to stand on the lowest step of a podium.  The silver winner stood on the next highest level, and the gold winner was at the top.

My favourite part of the tournament was watching the Black Belts.  They were awesome!

I loved this day so much that I can't wait to be part of the next tournament!

No comments:

Post a Comment